Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Geek Chic

Bonjour! I felt inspired by a recent purchase at the mall (clear framed wayfarers to be specific) and a browse at Buffalo David Bitton's fall/winter campaign, so here's a little scoop on look I quite enjoy - Geek Chic. What is geek chic? It takes inspiration from the classic geek (thick glasses, oxfords, suspenders, etc.) and making them fashion forward. Here are a few pieces I picked out that would complete this look.

1. Black Skinny Jeans - If you are a pants kind of person, then black skinnies are the way to go. It's a great alternative to dress pants and provides that chic understatement but "nerdy" appeal with the other pieces. (J Brand - bluefly.com)

2. Tweed High-waisted Bell Skirt - If you are more girly, then here's a skirt alternative. I quite like this tweed one with the high-waisted feature (a definite geek touch). Works great with a pair of black sheer tights. (Oscar de la Renta - Netaporter.com)

3. Black skinny suspenders - To keep the look modern, opt for a skinny version of this classic nerd accessory. If you feel the need for a splash of colour this is a good place to do it.

4. Clear framed Wayfarers - I recently bought a pair like the one seen above and gotta say, they are kinda growing on me. Although any thick framed glasses will do, wayfarers are a hot look for 2008. (shown were found on ebay, but I bought a pair from Detox)

5. Patent Oxford Booties - Oxfords are a great classic, and these pump styled booties are a great modern twist on it. If you aren't a boot kind of person, opt for a pair of Mary Jane pumps. (Vulture - Steve Madden)

6. Simple White Blouse - Everyone should have one but geeks especially. During the colder winters, you can throw on a knitted sweater. They look great with suspenders as seen in the inspiration photo. (Investments Gold Label - Dillards.com)

7. Leather Bookbag - All good geeks need something to carry their books in. I love the cognac colour of this one from Urban Outfitters. (Sabina Convertible Leather Bag - urbanoutfitters.com)

No comments: