Sunday, January 4, 2009

Classics and Trends

I haven't posted an outfit in a while, so here's one to keep you all entertained. I love mixing trends with classic pieces, so I thought this one was just the right combination of the two. The trench coat and the deep white v-neck are two pieces any girl should own in their closet. I combined a fun, floral mini skirt, tights, and the every elusive oxford heel to liven the look up. To finish it off, I chose simple accessories like a nice, cognac bag and black beaded necklace (looks really nice against the white vneck)

Shopping Tips:
- Don't splurge on basics. Tees and tights are items you can find priced cheaper with the same amount of quality. No need to spend $40 on a white tshirt you can get for $10.
- Splurge on structure. For items like trench coats, it is better to spend the extra money and get something that fits perfectly. It's a piece that will live in your closet for a long time.

2 comments:

victoria renee said...

i have a teensy dilemma. i always splurge on basics, because the cheaper ones never seem to fit the right. any places to get good fitting cheap basics?

i love the skirt

SM said...

Depends on what kind of basics

Smart Set is my fav for tees and tanks (so soft!)
You can also try Forever21 (quality is decent), Charlotte Russe, H&M (my fav), Urban Outfitters, American Apparel (but pricey but lots of options)

Almost all stores offer basics so I guess shop around :) and hopefully you'll find a place with good fit! Poor fitting clothes always look cheaper so take your time